This is part of a blog series giving a high level overview of the different services examined on the AWS Solution Architect Associate exam, to view the whole series click here.
- Athena is an interactive query service that analyses data using standard SQL.
- Can work with both structured and unstructured data and can work directly with data stored in S3.
- Serverless — nothing to provision, pay per query
- No need for complex ETL
- Out of the box integration with AWS Glue
- Can be used for things like querying log files or generating reports based on data stored in S3.
If you are interested in trying out Athena, try this tutorial I created earlier in the year!