This is part of a blog series giving a high level overview of the different services examined on the AWS Solution Architect Associate exam, to view the whole series click here.
- Lambda is a serverless compute service.
- It takes care of provisioning/managing the services that you use to run your code
- You don’t have to worry about OS or scaling
- Allows you to run code for nearly any type of application or backend service
- Can write Lambda functions in a range of different languages e.g. Node.js, Python, Go etc.
- Can be used as an event driven service — e.g. can trigger from another service.
- Can be a compute service to run code in response to an HTTP Request using API Gateway.
- Pay for number of requests (first million free) and also pay for the duration of code running.
- As invocations increase, the Lambda functions scales automatically.